Noah Robinson

Captain Lieutenant Noah Robinson, Second Regiment New Hampshire Continental Line
contributed by Hugh L. Robinson II, who has represented Capt. Lt. Robinson since 2011

CHASE ROBINSON was born on 15 December 1737 in Stratham, New Hampshire. The oldest of seven children of JONATHAN ROBINSON and MERCY CHASE, his youngest sibling, Captain-Lieutenant NOAH ROBINSON was born on 18 May 1756, also in Stratham. HUGH LAUGHLIN ROBINSON II is CHASE’s 5th great-grandson, born 11 August 1958. NOAH ROBINSON is HUGH’s propositus for membership in the Society of the Cincinnati as his 5th great-grand uncle.

NOAH enlisted as a private along with his nephew JOHN[1] (CHASE’s second child; born in 1759) about 1 May 1775, in the Second New Hampshire Regiment, commanded by Enoch Poor. Re-enlisting on 1 January 1776, he served in Capt. Winborn Adams’ company as corporal and sergeant, and was promoted ensign (in Captain Benjamin Titcomb’s company) in September 1776, and on 8 November 1776 second lieutenant (in Captain Samuel Blodget’s company). He was promoted first lieutenant on 22 December 1777, and on 16 June 1779 captain-lieutenant.

NOAH fought in the Battle of Trenton on 26 December 1776, and the Battle of Princeton on 3 January 1777. Present at the Battle of Saratoga, New York, (the first engagement at Stillwater on 15 September 1777?) he was wounded and sent to hospital. After several months in recovery, he rejoined his regiment, and fought in the Battle of Monmouth, New Jersey on 12 June 1778, when he was “so overcome by the prevailing excessive heat that his health was impaired to such a degree as to prevent labor without great pain.” Upon the reorganization of the Continental Army in 1781, he became a supernumerary, and returned home. Soon after his return from the Army in 1781, he married Nancy Wiggin of Stratham.

One of his great friends in the Army was one Parker Morgan, who, like NOAH, served for a time in Capt. Winborn Adams’ company of Col. Enoch Poor’s regiment. Morgan and NOAH appear to have served together as Marines for one voyage in 1782 on board the privateer General Mifflin. This privateer, commanded by a Capt. Neal, was owned by Mungo Mackay, a prominent Boston businessman. General Mifflin, while cruising in the Bay of Biscay, captured a British man-of-war, and sailing north as far as Greenland they captured thirteen prizes.

It may also be that Parker Morgan’s son married NOAH’s eldest granddaughter, Sarah Ann Robinson.

By 1794, NOAH was home and had moved to Epping, New Hampshire. In 1789-90 he settled in New Hampton, just west of Meredith, and built a homestead there. He died in New Hampton in February 1827, and is buried there.

[1] JOHN ROBINSON (1759-1848; HUGH’s 4th great grandfather) was a Revolutionary soldier for seven years and pensioner. He enlisted in Captain Mark Wiggins’ company in Colonel Long’s Regiment on 30 September 1776 (N.H. State Papers XIV pp. 369-70). On 7 January 1777, he was one of the men “fit to march to Ticonderoga,” and remained in the Second NH Continentals until the end of the war, taking part in the battles of Hubardton, Monmouth, Horseneck (where he was taken prisoner), Newtown, Jamestown and Yorktown. He was pensioned on application, 23 April 1818.

He is buried at the Robinson Farm, in the Robinson Family Cemetery, on Chemung Road south of Meredith. The Robinson Farm is owned by HUGH’s uncle John Stuart Robinson (1934-), and will pass to HUGH’s first cousin Chase Frederick Robinson (1963-). It is posited by John Robinson that when the two Robinson men, NOAH and John went off to enlist together, Noah was made an officer for one simple reason: he could read.