Daniel Livermore

Major Daniel Livermore, 1st Regiment N.H. Continental Line

Daniel Livermore born in Watertown, Massachusetts in 1749. He was the son of David and Abigail (Kimball) Livermore and was descended from some of the earliest settlers of Watertown. When he was still quite young he came to Concord, New Hampshire and served an apprenticeship to a house carpenter. Daniel continued there working at his trade until the commencement of the American Revolution.

Daniel Livermore was appointed as a Second Lieutenant in Captain Gordon Hutchins’s company of Colonel John Stark’s 1st New Hampshire Regiment. He fought at the Battle of Bunker Hill in this capacity. Second Lieutenant Livermore was promoted to First Lieutenant on January 1, 1776 in the 5th Continental Infantry Regiment (the temporary designation for the 1st New Hampshire).

First Lieutenant Livermore was promoted to Captain and transferred to the 3rd New Hampshire Regiment, Continental Line on November 8, 1776. He most likely spent that winter recruiting and went with his regiment to Ticonderoga in the spring of 1777.

During the Continental Army’s encampment at Valley Forge, he is listed as the commander of the 4th Company in the 3rd New Hampshire Regiment, Continental Line under the command of Colonel Alexander Scammell. Furthermore he is marked as “Present” for entire period of the encampment from December 1777-June 1778.

Captain Livermore continued in service and led a Company during the Sullivan Expedition. Captain Livermore kept a journal during this campaign and it was later published in the Collections of the New Hampshire Historical Society, Vol. VI, starting at page 308.

When the New Hampshire Line was reorganized effective January 1, 1781, the 3rd New Hampshire was disbanded. As such, Captain Livermore was transferred to the 1st New Hampshire. He continued in the 1st New Hampshire during the further consolidations of the New Hampshire Line. On October 10, 1783, Captain Livermore was brevetted Major by Congress. Major Livermore retired from the Army on December 10, 1783.

Major Livermore returned to Concord where he married Sarah Walker, eldest daughter of the Honorable Timothy Walker. He was highly esteemed by the citizens of Concord and they elected him, in 1794, to represent them in the General-Court of New Hampshire held at Amherst that year. Major Livermore died June 22, 1798.

Sources: Francis B. Heitman, Historical Register of Officers of the Continental Army, (Baltimore, 1914), 266; Frederic Kidder, History of the First New Hampshire Regiment in the War of the Revolution (Albany, 1868), 116-117; The New Hampshire Historical Society, Collections of the New Hampshire Historical Society, Volume VI, (Concord, 1850), 308-309; Selected Wartime Service Records of Major Daniel Livermore.